Mayor Bill Dalton has revealed a proposal being explored by the Napier City Council to build a new “Memorial Library” in Clive Square.
In order for this plan to be brought to fruition, Mr Dalton says it would be necessary to demolish the former Mothers’ Rest building (Community Centre). Mr Dalton also suggests that a new library on that site could house the Eternal Flame and plaques listing those who gave their lives in World War II, that have been removed from the renovated and extended Napier Conference Centre on the Marine Parade.
These proposals overlook the fact that the former Mothers’ Rest building has an important history of its own and, for this reason, is listed on the Council’s District Plan as a heritage building. Not only was it built in 1925 as a memorial to the citizens of Napier who gave their lives in the First World War, it is also a landmark building as part of women’s social history in New Zealand. (more…)
Heritage New Zealand has listed Philson House in Stanley Point Road as a Category 2 historic place on the New Zealand Heritage List - Rarangi Korero. The house has been described as a prime example of a corner bay villa design ‘of ornate turreted style’.
“Philson House is a great example of the bay villa at its most elaborate and ornamental, and other aspects of its history that make it valuable,” says Heritage New Zealand’s Heritage Adviser Registration, Martin Jones.
The Media Release (and Philson House History) is as follows: (more…)
This is a story about time (a clock), but also a story of changing times and times of change!
Firstly a grand time – a time when Ashburton was proud to the point of boasting about its marvellous new Post Office and clock tower! Today we all carry time tellers (phones/watches) but over a century ago they were much rarer and the town clock dominated the landscape with its importance. It not only displayed, but also chimed the time. (more…)
Maraekakaho Station is located about 20 kilometres west of Hastings. From 1857 Donald McLean leased and bought land from the Maori owners. Donald McLean encouraged other members of his family to come to New Zealand from the Scottish Island of Tiree, and Maraekakaho Station was managed and staffed by his relatives and other family connections while Donald McLean himself was engaged in the process of land purchase for the Crown, ultimately holding the position of Chief Land Purchase Commissioner for the colonial government from 1853. Later, he pursued a political career, being elected to the position of Superintendent of the Hawke’s Bay Province in 1863 and, in 1866, winning the Hawke’s Bay seat in Parliament. He was knighted for his services in 1874. (more…)
Philip Barrett Team Leader Heritage has generously provided us with the Draft Significance Statement for the Cunningham House.
Cuningham House is of historical and social significance as the largest and oldest of the Botanic Gardens display houses. It was built in 1923 and opened on 9 August 1924, funded by a bequest made to the Botanic Gardens by Mr C.A.C. Cuningham, a Christchurch law clerk, on his death in 1915. (more…)
The following text was extracted from a CCC Staff Report.
The house is of historical and social significance due to its association with the early development of Richmond, and with pioneer Dr Gundry, the original owner of the land, and the Flesher family, who played a significant part in municipal matters and within the local communities of Richmond, Avonside and New Brighton. (more…)