Our latest newsletter is available on our website. It has information about our 9 August AGM and speaker Barbara Mulligan on the 'Karori Cemetery and the 1918 Flu Epidemic' as well as some of our recent and other upcoming events. We are also on Facebook.
Our latest newsletter is available on our website. It includes information about our very successful Wellington City Heritage Week, and a review of what we have done in 2017.
Wellington City Heritage Week from 23 to 29 October 2017.
Starting on Labour Day, it is a week-long public event that includes open heritage properties, city tours, special museum exhibitions, films and presentations.
Highlights of the week include:
- Open days at Antrim House, St Gerard’s Monastery, Government House, St Mary of the Angels and Wrights Hill Fortress;
- Special tours at the New Zealand Cricket Museum and The Great War Exhibition; Wellington
- Archaeologist Mary O’Keeffe hosting her previously sold out tour of the city’s most interesting sites;
- Nga Taonga Sound & Vision presenting heritage films on the development of Wellington City and important events that have shaped the city;
- Special presentations at the National Library of New Zealand and the City Gallery.
All events are open to the public. Keep an eye on our website for further information.
Our latest May 2017 newsletter is available from the newsletters page of our website.
Two of our committee members wrote an opinion piece for the Dominion Post on Special Housing Areas and their potential threat to heritage buildings, using the example of Wellington's former Erskine College. Click above for the link. You can read more about the proposals for this Category 1 heritage listed site, now designated a Special Housing Area, on our website here.
In the run up to this year's local body elections, Historic Places Wellington decided to ask the mayoral candidates for Wellington city some questions about historic places. We have received five responses so far and you can read the answers on our website (click the link above). Our latest (August) newsletter is also available on our website.