ODT is reporting Owen Graham [NZHPT Otago - Southland Area Manager] stating that leaving a Heritage building vacant is preferable to demolition. [Tuesday, 10 July 2012]
The NZHPT is hosting a public lecture by Consultant Structural Engineer Win Clark on strengthening Stone and Brick Masonry Buildings -19th July, Otago Museum.
Comment:This article is a well written and a must read.
Briefly the following points are made:
- It is preferable to leave a building vacant if there are problems meeting structural standards.
- Community Groups and Churches will have difficult decisions in response to Dunedin City Council pre 1976 Non Residential Policy which require Building owners to meet updated standards within time frames.
- Owen asks that owners carefully consider options - NZHPT is available to help. Dunedin City Council has incentives, grants etc. An option could be to sell the empty building.
- Peter Dunne , Revenue Minister, is reported as saying, that earthquake strengthening may cause financial hardship and that Government leadership may be required.
- Owen does not know the number of Dunedin's potential earthquake prone heritage buildings.