Historic Places Canterbury Submission on the Christchurch City Council Proposed Grant of $10million for the Christ Church Cathedral
Mayor and Councillors,
Thank You for the opportunity to make a Submission on the Proposed Grant of $10 million for the Christ Church Cathedral.
- Historic Places Canterbury (HPC) fully supports and endorses the Christchurch City Council (CCC) Proposed Grant of $10 million Grant for the Christ Church Cathedral.
- Historic Places Canterbury considers that it is appropriate the Christchurch City Council joins in partnership with Church and (NZ Aotearoa) State in funding the restoration of Christ Church Cathedral.
Since the Earthquake and subsequent aftershocks there has been much talk of the need for “partnerships”. HPC considers it is appropriate the CCC becomes a “partner” with Central Government and the Anglican Church in funding the restoration of this Christchurch Heritage Icon- Christ Church Cathedral.
- HPC is aware that throughout its history, the Christ Church Cathedral has sought and been supported in its fundraising by Christchurch Residents.
HPC understands early in its life it was possible for residents to “purchase” a Cathedral Column.
It is appropriate that CCC support, through this grant, the restoration of Christ Church Cathedral. The circumstances are exceptional and so is the need for this grant.
- HPC considers the conditions of the proposed CCC grant which can drawn after Insurance, Government grant and funds from fundraising are exhausted, is prudent and responsible. HPC considers it is conceivable that the fundraising for this much loved Christchurch Heritage Treasure may be so well supported ensuring that the full grant may not be required.
- Christ Church Cathedral is the iconic centre of our premier civic space. This Heritage Treasure which is part of our collective civic heart is damaged. It is responsible that the CCC grants funds to ensure our Civic Heart is repaired and by doing so makes a statement to the world Christchurch has not just recovered but has begun the renewal.
A restored Christ Church Cathedral will be the centre piece of Regenerates Christchurch’s plans for a successful regeneration of our Civic Heart.
- Christ Church Cathedral is a direct legacy of our forebears who through their vision and commitment sought to create this great city Christchurch Otautahi.
It is beholden on us as their descendants to honour their vision especially as we have lost so much of our built heritage legacy. Mayor and Councillors it is time to demonstrate that our Civic Pride and the Christchurch can do that gave us the world leading Town Hall is alive and living. HPC considers the CCC grant is a statement that we as a City back ourselves to look after what is important to us.
- HPC understands there will not be total agreement amongst the Residents, this is Christchurch, but we are certain when we look back at the awarding of the grant for the restoration of Christ Church Cathedral, it will be seen as the right thing to do.
Chair Historic Places Canterbury
Comments are closed.